Visit Alcatraz Island
Alcatraz Island, often referred to as "The Rock", offers visitors a closer look at the site of the first lighthouse and US built fort on the West Coast. However, Alcatraz might be best known for the infamous federal penitentiary long off-limits to the public, as well as the 18 month occupation by Indians of All Tribes. Rich in history, there is also a natural side to Alcatraz, visitors can enjoy gardens, tide pools, bird colonies, and incomparable bay views.
Alcatraz Island is now operated by the Golden Gate National Recreation Park Service. Alcatraz visits frequently sells out in advance, as much as a week or more in the summer and on holidays.
- Location: Alcatraz Island is located in San Francisco Bay, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) offshore from the city of San Francisco, California
- Ferry Location: 0.1 km/0.1 miles from Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel at Hornblower Alcatraz Landing at Pier 33
- Hours: Ferry departures are available about every half hour throughout the day beginning at 9:00 AM - 3:50 PM. Night tours are available on certain days, check the schedule in advance. Alcatraz is open every day except Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's day.
- Tickets: Purchase Tickets at www.alcatrazcruises.com or call (415) 981-7625
- Fees: Pricing ranges from $18 - $30 depending upon age. Tickets are made available about 60 days in advance. The ticket price includes the ferry transportation service provided by Alcatraz Cruises, the cellhouse audio tour provided by the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, and the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act fee.
- Tour Information: Allow at least 2 ½ hours for sailing to the island, taking the Cellhouse audio tour, exploring the rest of the island and returning to the mainland. Photo ID is required. Visitors should be sure to bring along a light jacket or sweater, the weather on the island is unpredictable.
If you need help planning your memorable visit to Alcatraz Island, take advantage of our knowledgeable concierge at (415) 627-6525 or Concierge@Sheratonatthewharf.com.